JoAnn had one of their 5 Simplicity patterns for $5 sales over Mother’s Day weekend… I made the mistake of taking the kids with me, so they picked out some costume patterns, swearing this is what they will want for Halloween… Here’s what we ended up with:
My son says he’s going to be the Knight (top right image on top left pattern) for Halloween, my daughter wants to be Tiana (but check out that awesome Mad Hatter costume in the same package), the stuffed animals were a compromise (we actually wanted the stuffed animal pattern on the previous page in the book, but the chicken/egg thing is cute), and the bottom two are going to be used by me for the next Project Sewn challenge.
Did you make it to the 5 for $5 sale? What did you grab?
My daughter’s kindergarten class was tasked with “stuffed animals” for the theme of their basket for a school basket auction fundraiser, and rather than go and buy a stuffed animal, I thought it would be more fun (and more unique) to donate one that I had made.
I found this great Jack Rabbit softie pattern, and used various scraps of fabric that I had on hand (most left over from my daughter’s Rapunzel Halloween costume), I made this little pink-and-purple bunny. I think she’s more of a Jackie Rabbit than a Jack Rabbit 🙂
I embroidered the eyes instead of using buttons, to make this more all-ages suitable, and only ran into one mishap (which the pattern had explicitly warned against) – I accidentally sewed one of the ears into a side seam. But luckily it was an easy thing to fix. The kids and I had great fun stuffing the bunny, although the leg joints are tiny – I used a funnel to get the stuffing in the legs.
This was a great pattern, and I will definitely make more of these little bunnies in the future as gifts – I wanted to make more for Easter this year, but the timing just didn’t work out. Maybe for next year!
This was the first stuffed animal I ever made – a stripey cat for my baby nephew. It was also the second time I ever appliqued anything – his little eyes didn’t quite end up where I planned them to (as you can see from the difference between the top and bottom images) but I still think he turned out quite cute. He has a little stripey tail, too.
The colors pick up on the sheets I made for my nephew’s crib, and integrate some scrap blue striped seersucker along with the red and blue flannel from the sheets.
I used this stripey cat pattern (albeit with fewer stripes) and I would definitely make this cat again. It’s a very easy pattern – only two pieces, the main body and the tail – which makes it easy to play with and make it fun with the stripes and face. Now that I know what I’m doing with applique, I think it would turn out even cuter, and going all out with the stripes would be fun, too.