Easy swim cover-ups

I found some cute beach towels on sale last week, then went surfing on pinterest to find easy cover-ups that I could make out of them.

My main requirement was that the towel was still useable as a towel… ie, it could lay flat. Plus, I only picked up one towel for my daughter and one for myself, so any two-towel methods were not going to work.

Then I found this pin. It’s a towel top, and you can get it on Etsy. She’s got some cool colors and buttons, but if you already have a towel, here’s what to do!

Ignore the Olaf photo bombs, LOL, my daughter was not into posing!

How to make this easy swim cover-up:
Beach towel, the thinner kind are easier to sew
Button, the kind that stand away from the fabric
Two small hair elastics

1) find the center point on one long edge of the towel. Sew a button at this point, on the right side of the towel. (This will now be the top edge of the towel.)
2) tack a hair elastic on each of the corners of this same top edge, on the wrong side of the towel, so that they stick out past the edge. I tacked each one down a couple of times by simply using a tight zigzag stitch over the elastic.
3) that’s it! To wear, hook the elastics over the button. This connection will go behind your neck, and your arms go through the large gaps made by looping the towel together.
4) you can also add pockets to either the inside or the outside of the towel. So you don’t have to carry a towel and can even use your towel to carry other stuff, like goggles!

Front view
Back view.

Close-up of how the elastics and buttons connect in the back.

My son’s Olaf towel poncho, which was definitely not as easy but still only took a couple hours, was made by using a combination of this Olaf hooded towel tutorial and pattern and this towel poncho tutorial.




Pattern review: Jeffrey’s Summer Jumper by Create Kids Couture

I got the Jeffrey’s Summer Jumper pattern from Create Kids Couture, intending to make matching outfits for my nephew and his brother (on the way in a few weeks!) to wear. But first I turned it into a girl’s romper for my niece to wear on Memorial Day, the 4th of July, etc., with just a few adjustments. First, I omitted the pocket from the front, and added three appliqued stars. Second, I added ruffles across the butt (because who doesn’t love a baby ruffle butt). Third, I added little flutter “sleeves” to the shoulder straps.

And here are the results!


This was a pretty easy sew, even with matching up all the little stripes everywhere, and very easy to adapt. I also love the way CKC makes their patterns. Through the use of negative space pattern pieces and rectangle shaped pieces, I only had to print a couple pages. LOVE, since PDF patterns are traditionally a printing/cutting/taping nightmare for me. My one complaint about the pattern is the finishings in a couple areas.

First, on the cuffs – the way they are attached is not the easiest thing to figure out, and leaves an unfinished seam inside the edge of the pants. The photos on the pattern show that the edge can be serged or zigzagged over (I  don’t have a serger, so I had to zigzag them). When I make this again for the boys (I already have the pieces cut out, just need to find time to put them together) I think I’ll change how the cuffs are attached.


Second, the waist seam, as written on the pattern, would leave an unfinished edge on the inside. Since the bib is lined, I didn’t think this was necessary, and went ahead and changed it when I made it. I just sewed the lining to the shorts (so that the seam would face the inside of the lining), then folded the bottom edge of the outer fabric up (to the inside), and topstitched around the edge of the bib, making sure the inner seam was encased. No nasty unfinished seam right on baby’s soft belly! Plus, the topstitching fit in with the other topstitching already on the pattern, around the top edge of the bibs, the straps, cuffs, etc.


One last baby pic so you can see the front of the romper, and then some photos I shot of the outfit on a hanger before I sent it off to my niece. I’m submitting this romper to the Sewing Mama RaeAnna contest, please vote for me when voting opens! Thanks!


Fabric notes: All the fabric and the buttons I used for this project were leftover from other projects! That’s right, total fabric and notions cost= $0. The red and white striped has shown up on this blog on numerous occasions, it’s a cotton shirting fabric. The red and blue are cotton quilting fabrics. The white star is linen, and the flutter sleeves/white ruffle are white cotton.wpid-20140519_194847-1.jpgwpid-20140519_194921-1.jpg

Tiana Halloween costume, part 1


I have a couple hours… Let’s see how fast I can sew!

Updated 5 p.m.: I went from a pile of bodice pieces to a bodice. Not too bad, considering all the finished seams on the sheer parts.

Updated 8:30 p.m.:
Well, you know I couldn’t leave it at that, since the hard part of the main dress was done. Still have to put in the zipper, hem the bottom and sleeves, and make the overskirt/apron thing. Oh, and make a prince costume for her frog 😛

Updated 10:15 p.m.:
Started putting together the overskirt, hemmed and edge is rick-racked. Need to attach the skirt to its waistband and put on the decorations.

Selfish sewing week


I’ve been planning to make this dress for 10 months… The perfect project for selfish sewing week! Still need to hem the bottom, add cuffs to the sleeves (which I think I may shorten as well), face the neckline, put in the zipper and sew up the rest of the back seam. I’m debating adding a bow to the front (it’s an option in the pattern). Really hoping to be able to finish this dress this week, so I can start on my daughter’s Halloween costume.

This is based on the same pattern as my 80s dress, but I added sleeves (modified an existing sleeve block), and it’s sewn from the leftover fabric from last year’s Christmas outfits.