I have a couple hours… Let’s see how fast I can sew!
Updated 5 p.m.: I went from a pile of bodice pieces to a bodice. Not too bad, considering all the finished seams on the sheer parts.
Updated 8:30 p.m.:
Well, you know I couldn’t leave it at that, since the hard part of the main dress was done. Still have to put in the zipper, hem the bottom and sleeves, and make the overskirt/apron thing. Oh, and make a prince costume for her frog 😛
Updated 10:15 p.m.:
Started putting together the overskirt, hemmed and edge is rick-racked. Need to attach the skirt to its waistband and put on the decorations.
I made this patriotic dress for my daughter right before Memorial Day, and as I mentioned, I was a little concerned that the points on the cutout star on the back wouldn’t stay up over time. True enough, after a couple washes, they started flopping around.
Last week, I ordered some fabric for the last Project Sewn challenge this season, my “signature style.” (Update: Read about my signature style outfit here!) But I also ordered enough fabric to make my daughter a dress, and a matching outfit for my son. The dress I thought I could knock out quickly and easily, using patterns I already had (and had worked with previously), and since it is Memorial Day weekend, I thought I’d make it for her to wear for the holiday. Continue reading
For my daughter’s dress, I used the reverse side of the same polka dot fabric that I used for my top and skirt. The dress features a standard bodice with a round neckline, an A-line skirt, and is sleeveless. It has reverse pleats along the waistband for some visual interest.
I modified my size 7 pattern to a size 4 (ish) and a size 2t (or so), for the two custom dresses I’m working on.
All four total “sides” of the two dresses are now at least cut out, and some pieces are even sewn together 🙂
The above photo is the four bodices… The Lightning McQueen dress is my kids’ favorite, and one of my favorite things I have made, ever. The kids told me I should make “One hundred and one thousand” like it. Anyone want a Lightning McQueen dress?
This Easter dress was totally inspired by the display at JoAnn’s. You know, the display right by the entrance, where they try to entice you to buy the new fabrics and patterns by making a couple of them and putting them on the mannequins? Well, I usually walk straight on by those, but this time, I was enticed. I fell in love with the pink ruffled knit fabric they had on display and thought it would make a great Easter dress for my daughter.
I’m working on two adorable versions of my girl’s reversible backless appliqued dress right now, and I couldn’t wait to share the fabric selections.
The first dress will be “Toy Story” themed on one side with accents of the green-striped fabric and blue star fabric; The other side will feature the pink froggie fabric and have accents of the green stripes and pink flowers. I’m not sure what I’ll applique on this one – trying to decide between a rocket, a sheriff’s star, a flower or a frog. Too many cute options!
The second dress will be “Cars” themed on one side and and have the red and blue flowered fabric on the other, with accents of the red and blue starred fabrics on both sides. I’m thinking of doing a car applique on this one.
I’m looking forward to seeing how these both turn out!