My sister-in-law is having a baby any day now! I had made flannel crib sheets for her first child a couple years ago, and she requested a new set for the new baby.
Here they are! I made the top one color and three sides are solid from the contrasting color. The final side, one of the long ones, I had some fun with. The first sheet has a striped side…
And the second has checkerboard side!
I think they will look super-cute through the side of the crib.
I hope my new nephew enjoys his new sheets. (Note: I had to go get my son’s old crib mattress from the basement to try these out, which is why it’s on my craft table! No cribs in this house anymore, LOL!)
Tonight’s crafterations: tie-front envelope-style pencil cases for the kids to give their religious ed teachers (with another gift inside).
Quick and easy project and they turned out great! Here’s an in-progress shot:
And the final product:
I hope their teachers like them! I need to whip up a couple for myself next as purse organizers, LOL.
Quick tutorial (for one cases):
Cut a rectangle of fabric 11 inches by 9 inches.
Hem the short sides with a 1/4 in rolled hem.
Cut an 18″ piece of 1/2 in coordinating ribbon.
Tack ribbon to center of right side of fabric rectangle, centered and aligned so edges of ribbon hang over hemmed edges of fabric.
Being careful not to catch ribbon, fold hemmed edges into the center, overlapping so that resulting width is approx. 1/3 of original, and so that the wrong side is out.
Sew raw edges together with a 1/4 in seam. Clip corners and seams.
Turn right side out and press out corners.
Use ribbon to tie!
I made this patriotic dress for my daughter right before Memorial Day, and as I mentioned, I was a little concerned that the points on the cutout star on the back wouldn’t stay up over time. True enough, after a couple washes, they started flopping around.
Last week, I ordered some fabric for the last Project Sewn challenge this season, my “signature style.” (Update: Read about my signature style outfit here!) But I also ordered enough fabric to make my daughter a dress, and a matching outfit for my son. The dress I thought I could knock out quickly and easily, using patterns I already had (and had worked with previously), and since it is Memorial Day weekend, I thought I’d make it for her to wear for the holiday. Continue reading
For week 2 of the Project Sewn sew-along, I made a shirred maxi dress with fabric from my stash, which I had purchased to make myself a maxi skirt last year. Hey, skirt, dress, whatevs, right?
This dress is very easy to wear and construct… so I put together a tutorial as I was making it.
This shirred women’s maxi dress tutorial owes a great deal to No Big Dill’s girl’s maxi dress tutorial, which I adapted previously to make a dress for my daughter and her doll, to Running with Scissors’ shirred pocket skirt tutorial, which I had used to make a skirt for myself (that I’ll blog about eventually), and to Sewaholic’s tutorial on sewing inseam pockets.
If you’ve never shirred anything before, it’s great fun and really easy! Basically, you’re just sewing lots of straight lines across the right side of your fabric, with elastic thread in the bobbin.
Update: If you use this tutorial, I’d love to see the results! Please comment with a link to your dress. Thanks!
This week’s Project Sewn challenge was to make a sundress. Last year, I made my daughter this maxi dress, and made myself a matching skirt. When I posted photos, my friends suggested that I make a maxi skirt with the same skirt pattern, so I bought this fun quilting cotton (on sale at A.C. Moore, $10 for 3 yards!) with that intent. Unfortunately, that was August, and the fabric promptly found a home at the bottom of my stash, waiting for time/warm weather. Continue reading
Woohoo! It’s the first ever Project Sewn contest, and this week’s theme, for both the designers and sew-alongers such as myself, is Black and White. This is one of those trends that I’ve been seeing all over the red carpet, and I don’t have too much of in my own closet, so it was fun to create something. Continue reading