I got the Jeffrey’s Summer Jumper pattern from Create Kids Couture, intending to make matching outfits for my nephew and his brother (on the way in a few weeks!) to wear. But first I turned it into a girl’s romper for my niece to wear on Memorial Day, the 4th of July, etc., with just a few adjustments. First, I omitted the pocket from the front, and added three appliqued stars. Second, I added ruffles across the butt (because who doesn’t love a baby ruffle butt). Third, I added little flutter “sleeves” to the shoulder straps.
And here are the results!
This was a pretty easy sew, even with matching up all the little stripes everywhere, and very easy to adapt. I also love the way CKC makes their patterns. Through the use of negative space pattern pieces and rectangle shaped pieces, I only had to print a couple pages. LOVE, since PDF patterns are traditionally a printing/cutting/taping nightmare for me. My one complaint about the pattern is the finishings in a couple areas.
First, on the cuffs – the way they are attached is not the easiest thing to figure out, and leaves an unfinished seam inside the edge of the pants. The photos on the pattern show that the edge can be serged or zigzagged over (I don’t have a serger, so I had to zigzag them). When I make this again for the boys (I already have the pieces cut out, just need to find time to put them together) I think I’ll change how the cuffs are attached.
Second, the waist seam, as written on the pattern, would leave an unfinished edge on the inside. Since the bib is lined, I didn’t think this was necessary, and went ahead and changed it when I made it. I just sewed the lining to the shorts (so that the seam would face the inside of the lining), then folded the bottom edge of the outer fabric up (to the inside), and topstitched around the edge of the bib, making sure the inner seam was encased. No nasty unfinished seam right on baby’s soft belly! Plus, the topstitching fit in with the other topstitching already on the pattern, around the top edge of the bibs, the straps, cuffs, etc.
One last baby pic so you can see the front of the romper, and then some photos I shot of the outfit on a hanger before I sent it off to my niece. I’m submitting this romper to the Sewing Mama RaeAnna contest, please vote for me when voting opens! Thanks!
Fabric notes: All the fabric and the buttons I used for this project were leftover from other projects! That’s right, total fabric and notions cost= $0. The red and white striped has shown up on this blog on numerous occasions, it’s a cotton shirting fabric. The red and blue are cotton quilting fabrics. The white star is linen, and the flutter sleeves/white ruffle are white cotton.